Thursday, July 1, 2010

Daily Dance Diary #1

Every summer, we at the Long Distance Project leave our respective homes in Brooklyn, Portland, and Seattle, to convene in a city. This is our third year, and we will return to Seattle, the place where the project (and friendship) started. As part of our Seattle performance (coming in September), we are each publishing a Daily Dance Diary, convening today, July 1, 2010, and ending when we are all in Seattle again. Each day, we each must produce some kind of dance video. It can be short, long, simple, complex, abstract, narrative, anything that we feel that day. We hope this will force us to shove creativity into our daily lives, and help us to create more and more material which can feed off of each other. Otherwise, we are each surviving in our own cities, living our lives, and hardly spending any time on our collaboration. This way, we empower and encourage one another every single day.

Click the title of this post (Daily Dance Diary #1) to see my first diary entry, "Land Legs." This is also an assignment I received from Yulia, but cannot share with you now because I can't reveal the secret assignment to Kimberly until it is time for me to send it to her.

1 comment:

Yulia said...

I loved seeing how you used and interacted with the "secret" objects. Perhaps because the oil spill is on my mind and in my dreams daily right now, but as I was watching your video images of birds trapped and covered in oil and garbage came to mind, especially the big tangle of black tape hanging of you. At the end you shed all the human garbage (literal and figurative) and ran back into the ocean. Very powerful piece for me.