Saturday, May 24, 2008

F A L L I N G





The photo was taken at the end of the Cherry Blossom festival at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. The wind was blowing lightly, the air was misty with small droplets of rain. I felt the tickle of excitement in the air... the change into Springtime. My gaze softened while pink leaves dropped like snow to the grass. The week prior I attended the opening of the festival and I returned to say goodbye to the ephemeral blossoms. It is places such as the Botanical Garden, Prospect Park, Greenwood Cemetery, and Central Park where I feel happiest here in NYC. It is in these somewhat natural settings where I can remember the trees, the joy of a shady place to rest, the flitter of birds and butterflies... it can all exist here and it is amazing! 

This week I went on a tour of Greenwood Cemetery at sunset. There were parrots and bats flying overhead. We were led by two men playing accordions. We entered the catacombs- it was chilly and spooky. The sun set over Manhattan and we had a great view of it from a natural hilltop in Brooklyn. The moon was nearly full that night and barely peeked out from behind the thick clouds. It was magical to walk slowly with a hundred folks on the tour among so many trees and so many buried. 

Lately, I have been riding my three-speed bike, Hercules all over Brooklyn. It is the kind of bike that forces me to work extra hard and my thighs appreciate it. 

I am falling in love with Brooklyn!

No comments: